Saturday, December 8, 2012

This is no Sushi Roll


After a frustrating lack of inspiration it is time to write again. Maintaining a blog is a commitment. Like many things, time passes the guilt grows, but more often than not a special event, encounter or unique experience kick starts the energy.

On LinkedIn I have been posting articles critical of Rogers Canada policy on unlocking cellphones. In short my advice is, buy an unlocked GSM phone and be free of the monopoly.

Last night (Friday) after work I was "kidnapped" by Abe Tasse, owner of the Mid Town Carwash, and scooted off to Billabong Gastropub in the heart of Osborne Village. Abe insisted I needed a "lobster roll". I, on the other hand, thought otherwise, yet another sushi roll.  Protesting all the way and worrying I would be late arriving at home to make a favorite - Chef Scott Conant's SpicyGarlic Shrimp and Tomato Spaghetti - we arrived at Billabong.

I knew, from a recent read, that Darryl Crumb, of Top Chef Canada fame, would be running the Billabong kitchen. I was introduced to Chef Darryl - in real life he is the good guy he appeared to be on the Top Chef challenge. Abe ordered and I chatted.

After a short and expected wait attributed only to preparation Chef Darryl returned from the kitchen with the Lobster Rolls. Warm melted Brie, pickled ginger, butter poached lobster and panko crusted tomato slices sandwiched between fresh grill toasted baguette with a corn relish.
 
 
 
So good. Abe was right - I needed a Lobster Roll.

Chef Darryl's Lobster Roll is a five star roll. I am certain it will stand up to any roll or sandwich of the Sandwich King, Jeff Mauro, of Food Network fame.

Great taste and presentation, well done Chef Darryl.

Finally, congratulations to my friends Ida Albo and Rick Bel of the Hotel Fort Garry on the 100th Anniversay of the Hotel. My start in the restaurant world was the result of their kindness and generosity letting me into the kitchens of the Sandpiper and Prairie Oyster and learning from Ida, Rick, Gilbert, Toby and Glen.
 
Thank you Rick and Ida and wishing you a 100 more years of success.

No comments:

Post a Comment